Kids the same age can be very different sizes, so we put together some basic guidelines focusing on a mix of age & height. Shoe size is not a big factor, and trucks can be adjusted to accommodate a variety of weights.
Click on the Board Size Section that suits you best:
- Kids up to, or around 4 feet tall
- Board size: 6.5 - 7" wide x 27 - 29" long
- Kids under 10 years old, or around 4-5 feet tall
- Board size: 7.25 - 7.5" wide x 29 - 30" long
- Kids 9-12 years old, or around 5 feet tall
- Board size: 7.5 - 7.7" wide x 30 - 31" long
- Younger Teen/Smaller Adult (5 feet and a bit taller)
- Board size: 7.7 - 7.9" wide x 30 - 31" long
- Older Teen or Adult over 5 1/2 feet tall
- Board size: 8 - 8.3" wide x 31 - 32" long
- Larger Adults (or skaters looking for a more stable board)
- Board size: 8.3" or wider x 31.5" or longer
By the age of 11 or 12, kids are leaning towards an adult size board, because they will probably grow so much in the next year. MICROS are for toddlers, and the MINIS are for kids who will still be pretty small for the next couple of years. (So once you are 9 or 10 years old, you might outgrow that MINI pretty soon. Planning ahead you might choose a SMALL or MEDIUM.)
Don't overthink these suggestions. If a kid loves the look of an adult size board, they can still enjoy it and have a safe experience, and you can adjust the trucks so they will be able to turn. It's not a big deal. Have fun skating!
For more info on choosing a skateboard, check our full Beginner Guide HERE.